Sunday, February 24, 2008

Stoning in the Public Square

EmilyPie recently blogged (albeit very esoterically) about a tragedy that happened in our little, suddenly crime-ridden town of Reno...the disappearance and death of a beautiful girl named Brianna Denison, the victim of an evil serial rapist who, as far as I'm concerned, should be caught and tortured. Like most of us around here, I haven't been able to forget about Brianna for a minute since this has happened. Campus just doesn't feel like as safe a place (I weigh far too much to fit the bad guy's victim profile but I see so many young, slight, long-haired girls walking around campus, and I'm sad for them and for all of us who have to watch our every step) and I think so much about her family and especially her mother...now that I have a daughter myself, I can't imagine losing my child in such a horrible way. I am pretty agnostic but when something like this happens I hope there is a heaven, and if there is, I hope that Brianna is there. And I also hope that karma exists, and that what goes around comes around, and that someone who could do something so depraved will get punished, somehow, somewhere.

Anyway, Reno is really a small town in so many ways. Everyone knows someone who knows someone. Not for the first time, today I heard some "insider info" about a potential suspect, and it has dominated my day. It is kind of crazy how information gets around, and considering how this kind of thing brings out a penchant for vigilante justice, one feels kind of sorry for anyone who fits the profile of the killer but ISN'T him--probably a fair number of men in the area. Because I'm sure lots of people in this town, whether they knew and loved her or just felt some kind of connection to Brianna after she disappeared, are envisioning very bad things for this criminal.

I am just hoping, for the sake of EVERYONE, that the bad guy is caught soon.

1 comment:

natasha | sohobutterfly said...

I read that post... So sad, so scary. Be safe out there.

It's very draconian, but I'm an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth kinda gal. That's justice in my mind. Too often our criminal justice systems focus on protecting the accused and forgetting about the victims. There's probably no ideal system, but it's a sad state of affairs when Martha Stewart does time but rapists walk free on technicalities. *le sigh*