Friday, December 7, 2007

Just this once, baby-dropping is a GOOD thing...

I am not sure (all those crazy doctor people who write what-to-expect books and go on and on about how first-time mothers instinctually know things need to shut up, because they are giving me complexes!), but I think Scarlett may be dropping a little...maybe. The night before last, on one of my frequent half-asleep nightly stumblings to the poor overworked potty, I noticed that I felt a lot more pressure in my lower abdomen then normal. All day yesterday she felt like a heavy weight down there instead of being more distributed as she normally is, and several people commented that my belly looked different (even my non-observant hubby, although he may have just said it because I planted the idea in his noggin). And for once last night, my ribs didn't feel like they were going to crack.

Is it possible...is she actually doing what she's supposed to be doing? I could be imagining things, but I hope I'm not. I haven't experienced Braxton-Hicks contractions (not a single one so far unless, again, I am an unnatural, instinct-lacking failure who just can't tell what I'm feeling) so I was beginning to fear this little girl is in no rush to emerge. Since she's due on the 10th of January, and school starts back up on the 22nd, I need her to be on time or (please, please, please, Goddess of Pregnancy and Delivery, I implore you) a teensy weensy, but still healthy, bit early. They say any time after 38 weeks is perfectly fine, and gee I would just love a tax write-off in the package (here I am, getting unreasonable again!), so I've been sending my little bun none-too-subliminal messages by rubbing my belly and intoning "December 30th, December 30th, you want to come out on December 30th!"

However--I'd better just be honest with myself right now--if she takes after me at all, I'm sure she has no intention of listening. "It's my way or the highway, Mom," she's sniggering; "and you'd better just get used to it."

In weather news, it's snowing, and so far showing no sign of stopping. And until it does, and until my street either melts a bit or gets plowed, I am not moving my happy, Toyota-Corolla-driving ass from this house. Work does not need me enough for me to risk getting in an accident at this stage of my pregnancy. So I am going to sit here with my two sleeping pups and my eggnog tea (yes, eggnog tea) and my Aristotle, and work on my final paper for History of Composition Pedagogies. Oh, and maybe internet a little...

(Yep, I'm milking it! In fact, I only have 34 days left until Scarlett's due date to milk it, so I'm thinking I'd better step it up even more. After all, pretty soon I'll just become the forgotten, dried-up cocoon while all of the attention focuses on the newly emerged butterfly! Hmmm, I'm thinking I'll make my husband fork over a back massage tonight, then maybe after our 8-hour birthing class tomorrow, he can take me to Thai Food and to see The Golden Compass. I only have just over a month before the "But I'm incubating your spawn!" ploy loses all power!)

1 comment:

Emily Main said...

Seeing as I have no experience with this pregnancy stuff... I ain't going to touch that! I will cross my fingers for you though!

*whispers*december30thscarlettdecember30th

and where on Earth do you buy eggnog tea?