Thursday, December 6, 2007

Succumbing to the call of the blog

I've given in, little by little, to the siren song of online posting, tempted by the seductive allure of fresh daily reading as presented by my friend's blog. Gradually I've found it less of an obligation to visit her page (the Queen Blogger in question knows how to give some pre-tty good guilt trips when one is remiss in one's commenting duties!) and more something to look forward to, to the point that I've been disappointed, lately, when her posts haven't been as regular. The inclination to blog myself seemed to follow on the heels of being a regular blog reader. But that wasn't enough...I needed one more push...and it came in the form of an email from the Queen, now my fairy Queen, who waved her magic wand and Poof! made me this page.

Now I have simply have NO more excuses!

This may not be a successful venture. I may find I have nothing to say ("Ha ha," most people I know would shout hysterically, rolling on the floor, if they ever heard that come out of my mouth!) even though I should have a lot to say. I am finishing up the first semester of a doctoral program in rhetoric and composition and, before the next one starts (hopefully, unless she decides to stay in there past her due date), I'll have a brand new baby girl, destined by my love of Gone With the Wind and her father's love of classic Bianchi bikes to be named Scarlett Celeste. I have big dreams at this point: to be a superwoman mom who comes (maybe, possibly, okay fine--just humor me here) epidural-free through a gloriously uncomplicated labor; to be blessed with an angelically colic-immune child who takes naturally to breastfeeding (as do my nipples), allowing me to go back to school two or three weeks after she is born; to continue to manage the heavy load I've always carried with my program, without having to sacrifice any of my involvements or commitments; and somehow, since I won't be able to keep working a full-time job on the side, to find a way to keep up with the mortgage and maybe, once in a while, even have some grown-up fun with my husband and our friends, without sacrificing diapers, wipies, or cute little outfits for Scarlett.

Feel free to laugh uproariously at my ridiculous overconfidence, right about...NOW.

On this site, if I can find the time to keep posting between final papers, kicks to the ribcage, and equally frequent trips to the bathroom and fridge, I'll post about my dances with academia, impending mommy-hood, and daily life.

2 comments:

Emily Main said...

Woot! (ok, I promise, I NEVER say that..but this seemed like the perfect opportunity!)

Welcome to what we refer to as The Blogosphere. I only hope you have enough time to post ;)

Megan said...

I found you through EmilyPie's blog. Sounds like this one might be an interesting one to follow. Good luck on your upcoming mommyhood!