Monday, December 31, 2007

My troublesome penchant for the somnolent state...

Ten days left until Scarlett is due...it seems so close, yet so far away! The closer it gets to her "due date" the harder it is for me to wrap my mind around her being here, because I've accepted that the whole timeline is useless. The big event could happen any day, or not for weeks still. Probably the latter. For the first time, I'm actually dreading rather than looking forward to my doctor's appointment this week, as I'm afraid when I hear "no signs of labor" again, I might burst into tears right in front of her!

Strangely, though, it gets easier and easier for me to sleep disgustingly long amounts of hours. I'm beginning to wonder what's going on here. Everything I read tells me that I should be miserably uncomfortable and tormented by insomnia. But my discomfort seems to have hit a kind of plateau lately...not much has cropped up in the way of new pain and most of my old pains have now plagued me for so long that I've just metabolized them as a part of life. And while I've had the occasional sleepless night in the past, lately I've been sleeping for ten, eleven, twelve hours straight (well, interrupted only by the occasional half-conscious stumble to the potty)! Is this unnatural?

On one hand, I know it's good to be well-rested before the ordeal of labor and then the sleep deprivation of a new infant. On the other, people say insomnia in the last trimester helps get you used to a new way of life. Does this mean I will be utterly unprepared for my new way of life? Maybe I should start setting an alarm to wake myself up every two hours?

Hmmmm...no, that sounds like torture. I guess I'll just let my body do what it thinks it needs, and maybe when my alarm clock is a little baby I love more than life, I'll have an easier time waking up!

In the meantime, I'm taking all the wise mommies' advice...going to movies, going out to eat, generally being unproductive and enjoying myself. Tonight is New Year's Eve. Other than having this child, I guess I'd better start thinking about some good resolutions...

Happy New Years to all!

3 comments:

natasha | sohobutterfly said...

Happy new years to you too, C! I hope you're indulging in some delicious (non-alcoholic, of course) fizzy apple drink! *lol*

Emily Main said...

but how will the rest of us get around once you are no longer are permanent DD? ;)

come my baby.. come come my baby .. BABY SCARLETT.. your mommy's crazy friend E wants you to come out and plaaaa-aaaay... and to pose for purdy pictures ;)

Wendy said...

After having 5 of my own -- enjoy the sleep while you can. I don't think that any amount of "preparing" for the sleepless nights with a newborn can actually get you used to it -- before they come. Labor can be very intense, and exhausting. So as long as you don't have things you have to do -- let yourself sleep. You'll quickly adjust to not getting enough sleep soon after baby is here. CONGRATULATIONS On the baby