Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Getting my kicks where I can!

5.5 Hours to go until it is officially January 10th...The Due Date. I fear it will pass without any sign of baby... SIGH! But I have vowed to fill it with as many tasks as possible to keep my mind off of what ISN'T happening. If only I didn't have a doctor's appointment tomorrow! For the last three weeks, even though I already KNEW it myself, just hearing my doctor's official pronouncement that no progress is being made has been enough to reduce me to tears (not in front of her yet, thank goodness, but each time I've had to make a quick pit stop in the bathroom for a few quick boo-hoo's before scheduling my next visit! Oh the joys of being a sappy, piddly pregnant lady!)

In the meantime, I have been extracting amusement where I can. Yesterday I was in a crowded elevator and someone asked me when I was due. I answered "Two days!" and everyone almost fainted! People literally backed up against the elevator walls and looked petrified. They all looked so scared that I had to rush to reassure them that the baby was not likely to slide out into my slacks anytime in the next few minutes. I suppose their heads were filled with the whole pregnant woman giving birth, trapped in an elevator scenario. Today it happened again at babiesrus; when a lady waiting behind me in line asked when I was due, and when I replied "tomorrow!" she literally took an involuntary step back away from me, looking petrified. The rest of the people in line looked none too at ease either. It was actually pretty funny. To her credit, when I was leaving the lady said "I hope you go into labor tonight!" She probably didn't realize that that is the nicest wish anyone could make for me right now!

So, I guess in order to take my mind off of the baby wait I should just start going around town and enjoying people's reactions when I tell them I am PAST my due date--as I will have to start doing the day after tomorrow! Apparently people see a 40-week pregnant woman as a ticking time bomb! Actually, I guess that's an apt metaphor. But really, do all of these people think I'd be traipsing around town if I were IN labor, for petessake?

At any rate, January 9th is almost over and the wait continues. I could well be imagining them, but I've been experiencing a little cramping today, more twinges than anything, and hardly worth mentioning in terms of pain, but hey...when you're in my boat, just about anything seems like a sign of progress!

3 comments:

Emily Main said...

Ha ha. I enjoyed this one. Until you, I never realized how not-so-fragile pregnant women really are. if that makes any sense. It is amazing that you can have something... I mean SOMEONE inside of you for 3/4 of the year and STILL walk around in the 9th month when the person inside of you is like 6lbs or something! Crazy.

And Twinges? Really? This is a good sign... for you. You rarely say you feel twinges or anything! Awesome. I hope your water breaks in the middle of the night and you get all the excitement of gathering your things and waking people (ME, I'm sleeping with my phone just in case) up in the middle of the night. And that you have a fast labor... so I can be back at work by 8am. HA. Instead, your probably going to have her while I'm gone, *sniff sniff*. But then I can pick her up a "Don't Mess with Texas" onsie while I'm out of town ;)

Daily Dirty Deed Doer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily Main said...

Happy due date TO YOOOOOOOU!

You live with a shrew... .

Shoved up innnnside your BElly.

Won't come out till she's ready..... (an extra syllable, but I wasn't awake enough to figure out how that works .. sing to the tune of "happy birthday to you, You live in a zoo, you look like a monkey, and you smell like one too."