Sunday, June 15, 2008

Curses, Foiled Again!

Rrrgh. Don't you hate it when you are finally getting into a solid exercise routine and something just comes along to knock you out of it? I have been quite the good girl for the last two weeks, wogging almost every morning (or doing a nice long walk on my days off) and all was going along swimmingly (strollingly?). Scarlett becomes the most lovely, mellow, contemplative baby in the stroller, and most days I've even been able to milk this rare mood--I've found if I shower as soon as we get back to the house, I can usually get 5-10 minutes scream-free! I've been gradually increasing my distance and the length of time I spend out, and have been feeling great. Runners Go Bragh!

Then (da da da dum) enter...the STUBBED TOE.

A stubbed toe is one of those frustrating ailments that garners you absolutely zero sympathy while being ridiculously painful. I got mine this morning by venturing recklessly through dangerous terrain I should have known to avoid...aka, my backyard, which as you saw from my previous post has become a war, I mean construction zone. (In good news, the veranda is looking AWESOME thanks to Two Daring Dads who weren't afraid to sweat and swallow sawdust on Father's Day--my dad and my husband. Pics soon!) There I was, carrying the Squidge out for a look-see at the progress, when BOOM went my toe into a piece of wood which had, I'm quite sure, not been there before. (My normal recourse in these situations, howling at my husband, was tragically not an option as this is one of his few Howl-free Holidays). It hurt at the time, but not really enough to slow me down. Over the course of the day, however, this injury has shown its true colors, which are black, blue, and puffy (okay, I know puffy is not a color, but it should be, don't you think?). Now, I am hobbling about like a gouty old lady.

Fudge. I have a sneaking suspicion this is going to mess with my morning exercise routine for awhile. Wish me luck that my dumb toe returns to normal proportions before I remember the joys of being a slug.

Okay, enough trying to eek out some meager rations of sympathy (it's not working anyway, is it?). I really should be lesson planning...tomorrow morning is coming much sooner than I'd like, and I'm not even slightly prepared. Sometime this week I will blog about the joys of teaching summer school to college fresh, fresh, FRESH-men--we're talking graduated high school Saturday, started my class Monday kind of fresh! Ah, how I love having impressionable young minds at my disposal. Kidding, kidding! Hope everyone's weekend was great.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have mucho sympathy for you, mama! I once broke my pinky toe (yes, that's the technical term) and I remember it being excruciating! Here's to a quick recovery so the strolling can commence!

PS Good luck tomorrow!

natasha | sohobutterfly said...

It's working, it's WORKING! *lol* I feel your toe pain. I hope that it's gone very, very soon.

By the way, don't know if you saw my post on E's blog, but the photos of your family are amazing! You look fantastic, and you have the cutest bubby in the world. Yeah, and your Hubsters ain't half bad either. *wink*

Hope you can hit the pavement soon!!

Coach J said...

Have fun corrupting those poor unsuspecting youngins! You'll never get 'em that fresh again.

Megan said...

Um, ouch! I dropped a desk on my toe this weekend. Luckily it was my ginormous thumb toe so it took the direct hit with little damage. My husband was briefly sympathetic, but the second the tears dried and took the opportunity to remind me why we don't move furniture in flip-flops.

Lauryn said...

Ooh you poor thing! I know how that feels!

After a loooong day of walking in Paris I stubbed me toe on the Metro and it literally took 9 months before the toe and nail were back to normal. And it still hurts today, two years later.

I hope your stubbed toe doesn't take that long to heal :)

I think of mine as a souvenir from my first trip to Europe!