Monday, September 15, 2008

Sleep-sence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder



(This picture taken by the fabulous EmilyPie!)


In the first few months of Scarlett's life, I loved her--unconditionally, consumingly, completely. All that parent love stuff that you hear about, you'd throw yourself in front of a train for them, leap in front of a bullet, yadi yadi ya...yes, I felt it all, and more.

But, I realize in retrospect, I also loved her stressfully. This was probably due partially to my lack of experience, partially to my hectic schedule, partially to the fact that Scarlett was not the world's easiest baby...but my immense love for her was tangled up with fear and frustration. Fear that she'd derail me, fear that I was doing the wrong thing, fear that things would never get better. Looking back, I'm actually kind of amazed I managed to appear so together in my daily life--well, at least I think I did. The truth was that I was barely staying afloat.

Lately, I've realized, my love feels different than it did, and I feel different than I did...in both respects, so much more light-hearted, so much happier. I'm sure a HUGE reason for the change is that fact that Scarlett is sleeping (almost) every night from 8:00pm to 6:00 or 7:00am. Also, now that she can sit and crawl I can set her down when I'm doing something, instead of feeling paralyzed by never being able to put her down without her being devastated. Sometimes I can even read or email while, a few feet away, she babbles and plays with her toys!

Whatever the reason, I suddenly feel healthier, more flexible about dealing with whatever baby drama she throws at me, and more positive in my belief that I CAN have kids and a succesful career and do them both well. I had been doubting something that before I had never questioned: that I was born to be a mom. These days I love hanging out with my baby and playing with her, and eagerly anticipate rather than dreading uninterrupted days of Scarlett-Mommy-time. Her personality is just so darling and fun...even though she still has her little-devil side.

The hard thing about this new more peaceful love is that being away from Miss Adorable is suddenly so much harder than it ever was. Even when she was only a few weeks old--yes, go ahead and condemn me as an unnatural mother for this--I would welcome the breaks and welcome the chance to immerse myself in school stuff, where I could glory in feeling like a moderate moron instead of an extreme one. But, because I was still breastfeeing, I went back and forth a lot and was rarely away from Scarlett more than four or five hours at a time.

Lately, however, it's been more like seven- and eight-hour days that she's with my mom and I am hammering away on a computer at school. As my husband pointed out, suddenly full time daycare doesn't seem like that much of a stretch. And I am so lucky--I have the absolute luxury of knowing that she is with her Grammy who loves her more than anything in the world (her own kids included!) But suddenly I find myself calculating hours, creating an equation of Grandma hours vs. Mommy hours. I never felt guilty before but I do now--isn't that weird? I think most moms are the opposite--the younger the child, the more the guilt. I am torn between wanting to be my child's primary caregiver and also wanting to get to a place where I have a career that will let me give her a good life, make me happy, AND--I hope--make her proud of me.

This is still an intense time in my life. And I am still worried about my ability to find this balance. But, on a positive note, I want to try to use this concern to motivate me. My new goal is to find better ways to be a student AND a mom, better ways to use my time more effectively and get more out of every day with my little one AND my program. The best part is that the new well-rested me actually feels hopeful that this is possible.

Speaking of...it's time for bed!

10 comments:

Lauryn said...

I don't think any mom can honestly say they've had the same experience as another... the challenges that each woman faces depend on so many different factors in her life. I can't imagine how much your life changes when a baby is thrown into the mix.

It's great that you're starting to feel the balance. I hope I am just as strong and determined as you are, to do it all and to do it well, when it's my turn to be a mom.

Unknown said...

I look forward to reading more of you finding your balance. I don't have children, but I can already imagine the difficulty I will have balancing my mommy time and my career time. I can see how you could be torn, she is so adorable!! That first picture is so beautiful by the way.

Coach J said...

I'm sure Scarlett will always be proud of you, no matter what you do. We all have to make tough decisions, and I'm sure the ones you make will be right for you and your family. Great work, mommy.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're already doing a great job. Just keep on keepin' on, Mama! :) Scarlet is so lucky to have you!

Anonymous said...

Pretend that I spelled Scarlett correctly the first time. Ok? Thanks! :)

natasha | sohobutterfly said...

C, I can totally relate to your personal struggles on becoming a parent, while still trying to maintain a seperate, professional identity. I think one day, when Hubby and I begin our journey down the road of parenthood, I will probably have a very similar post.

I feel very much like you do, that I was born to be a mother. But I know I will experience the same guilty pleasure of release when I get a few moments of "me" time... I'm already that way with my lovely pooches, and they are far more independent than a newborn will be.

And I do not look forward to the struggles that will come with deciding what to do... do I leave the pooper at daycare or with a nanny full-time? Or is it possible to give up my "everything" and devote another sort of everything to raising my child... I have no idea what the outcome of this struggle will be, but I certainly ponder it all the time.

I am glad that Miss S is giving you a break by sleeping through the night, and that this break is helping you better cope with the trial and tribulations of parenthood. YAY for sleeping babies!

Megan said...

All I can say is I WANT ONE!!

But seriously, the no sleep thing terrifies me. I have trained the dogs to wake up B in the morning (or middle of the night). Think I can train a baby the same way?

The Peterson Life said...

I remember the month when I felt my "oh, maybe I can do this", and I also started feeling "normal"...whatever that means post motherhood??? It was mid to late december, so Ram* was 7 months. In January, I even had my first non-Rams night away. Somehow recently, going on my overnighters have gotten hard again. I think it's the hormones. Scarlett is adorable. I can't wait until they're both around the same playish age, and we can get them together. :)

v said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
v said...

I couldn't figure out how to comment on the other site, so I'll do that here. Ali will still not drink or even sip sparkling cider or sparkling mineral water. The first time we gave it to her, she was incredibly shocked, in an unpleasant way, by the bubbles and quickly waves away any offers now.

[This author hasn't quite figured out editing. Ali was previously described as 'shocking' and not 'shocked.' Oops.]