Friday, October 3, 2008

A Day Like Any Other

Take a look at this picture. That's me, on the left. Wait, let me be more specific: that's me six and half years, thirty pounds, and shitload of responsibility ago. I was tanned, toned, and free to change the course of my existence on a whim, on many whims. And I did.



This picture was taken on the beach of Pensacola Florida, which was a short hop away from where I was living, New Orleans. I looked this good because my life daily routine was something like this: Wake up, slowly, some time in late morning. Put on running clothes and leave the apartment. Walk the 17th street canal down to the Marina, and then start jogging. Run for miles, miles, along the path that followed the shore of Lake Ponchartrain. Run back. Walk a couple of miles cool down. Go tanning (yes, tanning, bad me.) Come home, shower. Head to the French Quarter for work. Wait tables; go out on Decator or Bourbon Street; or go home, and write poetry lying on my stomach on the floor (I had no furniture--literally, none). Sleep, deeply. Wake again and run again. And so on. Most days, I probably did 8 or 10 miles.

Looking back, I can't believe how great I looked at that time. Did I know then the extent to which my body was my currency? Oh, I could tell you some wild tales...if I was a book, I'd be banned! (That's somebody's proposal for the English Department T-shirt, and I have to say I love it). Hilariously, despite the story this picture tells about how I looked, I still thought I was fat!

I have a point in sharing these reminiscences, I promise. You all know that I've REALLY struggled with baby weight and that I gave myself a 70-day no candy, no dessert, no soda challenge to try to help with that. The last day of that challenge passed Tuesday, without any big hoopla. I had cheated a few times, mostly on things that I baked (one MUST taste test, right?), but I had made it! And I had lost about 10 pounds from my Hawaii trip, but still only 7 from post-hospital baby weight.

I am sort of befuddled about where to go from here. True, I learned to live through a day without constant sugar input. But I'm still not sure I have learned any restraint if today is any example--we had a bake sale for the English Graduate Organization, and I pretty much sampled all day, as if I had never quit. On one hand, I really don't want to fall back into my old patterns--on the other hand, I'm pretty sure the quality of my life is impacted by not eating desserts. I don't want to always be turning sweets down--but I suspect I'm an all-or-nothing kinda gal.

I'm writing about this because I need some advice. I don't know if I will ever look like that picture again, but I want to be fit and feel good about my body and my eating habits. I am still wogging most days, and also now doing Jillian Michaels videos (YOUCH!), and also about to starting taking my friend's Turbo Kick class two days a week, but I know none of those things will help if I don't eat right. What do you all think I should do? Should I make a new challenge, a new rule? If so, what?

6 comments:

Coach J said...

I think you have to allow yourself some freedom, or you'll find yourself binging. If someone offers you a cookie, eat it. Just don't have dessert later that night. Start making healthier choices when you go out to eat and when you're shopping for food, but don't be afraid to have that cheeseburger and fries every now and then. And remember, your metabolism is still catching up from baby, and may never be quite the same again. But you'll find a method that works for you. Just make sure you're happy with it.

PS - Have you ever tried a food journal?

PPS - I'm waaaay excited for Turbo Kick!

v said...

Hey, I agree with Coach J. I've made very small changes over time. It seems that you and M eat healthily at home (you've said you like chicken breasts and grilled veggies, I believe). It's taken a long time, but when we go out, I'm almost always better about eating the (usually ONE and ONLY) healthy thing on the menu. Also, I make it a point to walk at least twenty minutes most days (there's more stuff to walk to here than near your house). I don't wog or jog or run. I'm nervous about late autumn and the winter. I just try to cook at home because I'm better about eating at home (although I still obsess about horrible-for-me-sweets). Food journaling helps me also. Good luck. (Sorry the comment is like blog-post-length.)

The Peterson Life said...

Back in my healthy hay-day (when I didn't eat ANY fast food, anything with HFCS, and I probably worked out on average 2 hours per day), my food consumption was based off a book called The Abs Diet. I love it! It's not really a diet, but more of a guide on what to consume to make the most of your calories. Unfortunately, I happen to think any diet is unsuccessful. Unfortunately, bigging fit is a lifestyle change, which is why it's do dang hard. Good luck. I have about 4-6 more months to pretend I don't care. Even though I think about it daily. :) Anyway, you are more than welcome to have a gander at the book. I think it's really educational regarding food, calories, etc in general.

natasha | sohobutterfly said...

I'm on a health kick these days.

I have (very difficultly) limited myself to one treat a day. Yup, just one Cadbury Thins bar (100 calories!) or one tall vanilla latte from Starbucks. Just one small piece of ice cream cake (tip: get Mario to cut you a piece, and tell him to make it SMALL!) or one piece of fudge. I drink herbal tea with a smidge of honey with the dessert cravings attack.

Except for my one treat a day, I focus on lean protein, lots of veggies, fruits, a healthy but well rationed carbs.

Seems to help me - I'm at my lowest weight of 2008, but I'm also working in 3 demanding workouts a week. You're right though, exercise paired with a healthy diet really is the best way to combat the bulge. But, you gotta live too!

Lindsey said...

Hi! I found your blog through LauReality. I feel your pain about the whole weight loss thing, but ironically, if you exercise "too much" and don't eat enough, your weight will plateau and you won't lose. A good way to figure out just how many calories to eat based on your level of activity/age/weight/height/etc. is this webpage: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php.

The website also has a food calorie counter so you can see exactly how many calories are in what you're eating.

Good luck!

tonisu said...

Hey, I'm late in the game, a newer 'blogger' and just stummbled upon your page today. Hope it's not to late and you catch this comment. I totally understand, I had 3 kids, with easy deliveries by the way, from 2001 to 2005. I use to be skinny skinny without lifting a finger and pretty toned when I lifted a few. I gained too much weight with all three but have managed to get back down to my prepregnany weight. I steadily have a five lbs intervial that I stay with in that I'm pretty satisified with. To give complete advice it would be nice to know how old your baby is, if your nursing and fun stuff like that. Contact me if your intersted in hearing what worked for me and some suggestions...like a 10 day juice fast to start...scary I know!