Thursday, April 3, 2008

Mayday: Flight To Good Times, Going Down

I woke up to the lovely news this morning that ATA airlines was throwing in the (little lemon-scented wipie) towel, filing for bankruptcy, and canceling all future flights with no regard or recourse for the many poor consumers who, innocently, began their day believing the good money they paid for tickets to Maui guaranteed that they would actually get to go to Maui. Now, normally the financial foibles of airlines concern me not a whit (okay, with the exception of the time that Reno Air went down. Reno Air had great prices, was hubbed in my own sweet hometown, didn't skimp on the snacks, and had stand-up comedians for pilots. Flying them was fun, cheap, convenient so of course they went out of business) but I happen to have vested interest in ATA. $1365 dollars of vested interest, to be specific.

Yes, I was one of those innocent consumers; I've been rudely awakened from dreams of papayas, pina coladas, and (pictures of) six-month Squidge in an adorable baby bikini, and dammit, I'm cranky now. Okay, make that downright pissed. Mario and I were looking forward to mid-July and my cousin's wedding in Maui, even though it was a difficult decision to go in the first place. On one hand, it was a great opportunity for a family vacation, Squidge's first...on the other, we are financially struggling, and common sense would dictate that extravagant vacations wait until that's no longer the case. But it meant a lot to my cousin, so we finally said good-bye to some precious savings and made the reservations. Apparently it was just our luck to have the Expedia roulette wheel land on the airline with the financial management skills of a plate of mahi mahi.

At least I paid with my credit card (ha ha, the pay-later mentality validated!) and Wells Fargo can refund me (hopefully) by pulling the money back from Expedia, who would have to have a valid reason to protest this retraction--and ATA's Chapter 7 should keep them quiet. But a preliminary glance at what's available now is pretty depressing. Tickets are hundreds more for crappy, too-early and red-eye flights (with a six-month-old? Don't think so.)

As sorry as I'm feeling for myself, I'm feeling more sorry for my cousin, dealing with all these de-flighted relatives. We aren't the only wedding guests who are going to have to consider stowing away on a pineapple freighter if we want to see her say "I do."

Poop.

4 comments:

natasha | sohobutterfly said...

That is totally poopy. I hope you get your $$$ back. Maybe you can get a last minute deal and still afford it... ??? *sigh*

I'm finally charging for my photography services, so I'm on the way to going pro! I've actually booked lots of portrait sessions, which makes me giddy!! There'll be lots of updates on my photography blog in the next little while!

Ashley said...

Crystal! You are so sweet! "I hope it is ok that I linked to you?"

You crazy girl. YES!!! thank you! :) You're awesome!

That sucks about your ticket. Man, such a bummer. Hopefully Sohobutterfly is right though and you may be able to get a last min deal.

You guys deserve it!

Emily Main said...

yu-uh-uck .. I have faith that you'll figure something out... you always come through!... you know it ;) You do have a bit of your sister's good fortune you know ;) You guys persevere!

*raising an imiganiary glass, of juice, and cheersing to a trip to Hawaii in July, for sho!*

Megan said...

Oh no! That is so upsetting. I hope something works out in the end. You my friend deserve that Maui vacation. The Squidge needs a polka dot baby swimsuit and a giant sun hat!