Thursday, April 10, 2008

Random Calculations and Scraps of News

1) We rebooked our tickets for Hawaii (see post four or so back.) After losing our first tickets to ATA's bankruptcy, I was concerned our only option would be to fly out of Reno on crappy, expensive, red-eye flights, but I was totally wrong. We are flying out of SAN FRANCISCO on crappy, expensive, red-eye flights. That's eight hours in the car, which will probably become twelve, with the Screaming Bean screaming. Moreover, we will be taking these crappy flights IF and ONLY IF my parents can rebook their tickets too. They found out today that Southwest--who heroically promised they would rebook their customers in the wake of ATA's bankruptcy but have since realized the dangers of overcommitting oneself--is leaving them high and dry. Or low and nowhere near the ocean, if you will. If they don't go, we can't--they were going to let us crash with them in their condo, and there is no way we can afford our own. Is this trip beginning to seem cursed?

2) Squidge Bean is really beginning to get her hand-eye(-bowel) coordination down. She is starting to reach out and feel our faces, which is the cutest thing. This morning we were playing and she had one hand on either side of my chin so deliberately and was looking in my eyes and it was so endearing and then...she let one rip, long and loud.

3) For some reason, in the last hour or so of my functional grammar seminar (sounds mind-numbingly boring but is actually only mind-numbingly hard and rather fun--eg we often examine data sets that allow us to conclude that Bill O'Reilly is completely incoherent, while Sarah Vowell is brilliant. Rah rah liberal education!) I often get spacey and find myself strangely drawn to mathematical calculations. I usually play with our budget, but that gets depressing, so today I changed it up. My little number doodles revealed that Squidge is 85 days old today. This means I have fed her somewhere around 765 times, using a lowball estimate of 9 feedings a day (I am still waiting for the glorious time when she will habitually go more than two hours between feedings). Because I feed her for approximately 30 minutes a time, that means I have spent approximately 22,950 minutes feeding her in the last twelve weeks. That's 382 hours. That's almost 16 days. That's over 2 weeks, out of the last 12, that I have spent with a cute little parasite attached to my boobs...

4) ...Which apparently are creatures of the night. After twelve weeks they still get ridiculously full and sore when I'm sleeping, even if it's only been a couple of hours since the Bean last ate. In contrast, during the day I'm often fighting to get them to produce. It is odd finding out that your boobs are decidedly noctural while you are a day owl. Oh, and that you can smell like milk All. The. Time, even when you've just showered.

5) Apparently iPhones are amphibious: my mom dropped hers in the toilet today and it survived. Technology never ceases to amaze me.

3 comments:

Emily Main said...

out of ALL of that.. my fave little bit was the first line of number 5.

Yay for booking tickets (insert I told you so here...) but crossing my fingers that your parents get to go so you can ......

The Peterson Life said...

Sorry to hear about ATA. You are the second person I know who has been completely screwed out of that one. they were flying a family of four!

natasha | sohobutterfly said...

Ha! I love the calculation about the boob latching. Freaky, isn't it. I sometimes count the seconds until my workday is done, but that only depresses me.