Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Falling into Disrepair



Last night in my Writing Across the Curriculum seminar (very exciting, yes) I truly realized the state of neglect I have let my body fall into. I was, as usual, in heated discussion about something or other (the ethnography of thought, anyone?) when I realized I had an itch on my right elbow. I unthinkingly reached my hand up my sleeve to give it a good scratchy-scratchy, when I suddenly realized how my skin felt.

Desert. Cracked earth. I'm talking dragon scales, people. I took a peak at it when no one was looing, and shuddered in horror! I'm not just talking dry. I'm talking snake about to shed! And I suddenly realized how long it's been...ummm, since about the morning of January 15th (the day I went into labor, of course) since I actually took the time to rub lotion on my own body. Oh, I've rubbed it on Baby Squidge...but not on myself.

I have never actually done most of the things women do to keep themselves up. Think of all the possible maitenance--hair, eyebrows, fingernails, toenails, tanning, other skin treatments, waxing, shaving, plucking, working out, on and on...it makes me exhausted just pondering it. That kind of maitenance is a full-time job, and I usually have at least two of those already. I keep up with my hair these days--trim every six weeks and color every twelve weeks, because it gives me true please to have redder hair than nature gave me-- and that's about it. I miss exercise and am trying to do it when I can. But this is ridiculous. I hardly even look at myself these days, and most of the time I am in such a rush to get ready and STOP THE CRYING that I (here come confessions) rarely shave my legs, brush my teeth for too short a time, skip the floss WAY more often than I should, skimp on scrubbing in the shower...

In short, it's happening.

I'm letting myself go.

AUGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

But what can I really do about it? Last night when I came home I stole some of Squidge's Eucerin ointment and greased up the old elbows (yes, the left side was just as bad as the right.) My new-month resolution: to maintain human-looking skin, if nothing else!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

just wanted to tell you that you are a really amazingly talented writer. I love to read your posts.

Good luck with the new goal :)

Megan said...

I hardly shave my legs now and I have no excuse! My poor husband. At least I was honest with him when we were dating, he knew what kind of mess he was getting himself into.

Emily Main said...

at least you have a baby to blame ;) me.. I have nothing to show for my inablity to keep up with myself.. excpet of course for my scaly leg skin!